Monday, February 21, 2011

Monday

At the table in the dusky kitchen, watching the sky come to life above the gable of the gray house next door. An instant ago I was thinking about the solid grayness of the house;  I'd have called the sky gray, too, if the house weren't touching it. The house is gray. What to call the sky?

This thought came and went in far less time than it took me to write it down. In that time the sky changed from not-gray to not-gray-marbled-with-pink. Now the pink's gone again, and the sky again is not a color, exactly -- not gray -- but a filling-with-light.

The maple outside the window is budding. The cape jessamine's a burning tangle by the road. These are the kinds of thoughts I'm used to having in the middle of Lent:  beauty, or the promise of it, in the midst of austerity. It's disorienting somehow not to frame this season with penance. Where did my checks and balances go? You mean to tell me I just get given this?

8 comments:

Janet said...

I am about to perish for lack of Lent. It's taking too long to get here.

AMDG

Sally Thomas said...

I know. And then I think I'll be perishing for Easter, too, when the whole natural world is indicating it but it's not here yet.

Caldrik said...

Absolutely. I feel disoriented. I should be be fasting or increasing my prayer time or something... but I'm not. Instead I'm furiously increasing my Lenten list and it's growing to idiotic proportions. Let's become vegetarian! I'll give up the internet! I should pray four hours a day and wear a hairshirt!

The weather here is still pretending that it's January, which helps a bit. Two new inches of snow overnight and no signs of spring.

Kate Wicker @ Momopoly said...

This is beautiful, lyrical - what one might expect from a talented poet.

Thank you for sharing.

Sally Thomas said...

Heh, I hadn't thought about what this extra time might do to one's list of Lenten disciplines -- except as it applies to procrastinators like me, who avail themselves of the extra time to avoid thinking about things like that.

Sally Thomas said...

And thank you, Kate!

lissla lissar said...

Oh, heavens. That was me! My husband left himself logged in!

Sally Thomas said...

Ha! Well, I was channeling my son the other day, or he was channeling me, whichever. Quite the epidemic of online-identity-alien-possession going around.