Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lenten Sonnet #28


Some Grammar



I’ve locked the bedroom door, to be alone.
If you think you invade my privacy, you’re wrong:
I’m doing no private thing, unless being is doing,
Quiet a verb – as it can be – stillness an action.

One child, upstairs, weeps the tears of the damned;
Another has rung to transfer a fund of angst
To my soul’s account, which was not overdrawn;
Another is banging some blunt hard object against
The tabletop, as he writes in his rickety hand,
Here the land slopes down to join the sea.

In slope we have a verb that’s less a doing
Than a surrender, less action than inclination.
So I surrender. No:  let’s say I’m going
The way of coastlands sloping into sea.



4 comments:

lissla lissar said...

"Weeps the tears of the damned"

Hey, you've bugged our house! Look, all I said to him was, "You can't lasso your little brother with an electrical cord."

Sorry. I'm a bit haywire with lack of sleep. I also seek solitude right now. I appreciate that God is giving us lots of children, I just want ten minutes of utter silence.

Sally Thomas said...

Oh, I know . . . and the same child is upstairs weeping the same tears today, so it's not like anyone learned anything, which makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

This path to Heaven, it is not the walk in the park.

Margaret said...

I couldn't resist because these comments remind me of my own life with children and this path to heaven reminds me of Matthew 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
God bless us all!!!

Janet Cupo said...

It's probably alright if you slope into the sea if that's where your castle is.

AMDG