Friday, July 12, 2013

It's a Working Vacation . . .

Breaking my silence to say that student plans for Western Civ 2 are FINISHED! That is, they're drafted, worked out in a useable form with links to most readings, and ready to go -- but also ready to be tweaked, added to, and amended as we use them ourselves.

So come and check them out. I need to edit my course overview for parents somewhat, as I revised our schedule of writing assignments as I did the student plans -- still, if you click the unit links, you can see readings and resources at a glance, in order to preview. In the student plans I did not use absolutely every reading or every resource;  basically I just sketched out what I want my own student to do. This, as I say, is all subject to change as we go, which is one reason I opted not to publish printed plans for this course this year. Comments on the Abandon Hopefully blog are welcome, especially as other people work through the course (as I hope they will!) and add other resources or find that certain things don't work. By the time I do publish a set of printed plans, which I hope will be this time next year, my aim is for them to be a field-tested and collaborative project. Meanwhile, I have to admit that I am pretty proud of what I've knocked together for this year. I think it's a pretty good course.

5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Thanks so much for this. I am just realizing that it is high time to get busy organizing my assignment plans for next year. I have to do a fair amount of tweaking, or perhaps paring would be a better word, to allow for the fact that my high school freshman will be taking a group class in medieval history. (The class emphasizes the history of warfare and includes lots of replica weapons!)

Sally Thomas said...

That class sounds fabulous! My 10th grader would love something like that. As it is, look as though his life is going to be all about chemistry and being a veterinary assistant. All that and the Middle Ages -- should be an interesting year.

I really hope the plans are helpful to you. Needless to say, you should use what you can and ignore the rest. Sorry I don't have a printable option right now, but if you're picking and choosing, you can just write up your own weekly lists from what I have.

Hope all's well with all of you. And I especially hope the overseas daughter is feeling better by now. I prayed for her!

Sally Thomas said...

*it looks* as though his life will be all about chemistry, etc. My typing gets worse and worse.

Anne-Marie said...

Thanks for the prayers. She is home as of yesterday, a little thinner than when she left, but otherwise well.

This group class is new to us, and involves a weekly drive that I don't relish, but I think it will be beneficial. Apart from the interest of replica weapons, I think the boy will benefit from working for someone other than his parents.

Sally Thomas said...

I know you're glad to have her home.

I also know that "great experience that I . . . have to spend my life in the car to provide" thing. And the replica weapons do sound way cool.